A well-designed lesson plan for one-on-one online tutoring is important for enabling students to retain vital information and learn with enthusiasm. Besides, lesson plans are the best approach towards delivering an engaging, interactive, and effective online class, as well. They also help tutors keep an accurate track of their academic objectives and goals, aligning with the student’s curriculum.
So, whether you are compiling study material and resources for your virtual classroom or creating an in-depth online course, following this step-by-step guide about making a lesson plan, exclusively tailor-made by Tutrrd for expert teachers like you, will help streamline your classes successfully!
- Plan in advance – While an effective lesson plan outlines the contents of your scheduled lesson strategically, it must be created well in advance in order to enhance clarity and avoid uncertainty. Make sure you begin listing an organized description of tasks or activities your students would undertake at least a week before the upcoming class, focused on achieving a primary learning objective. This could either cover a one-time activity, a chapter or unit, or even a specific lesson, over the course of a day or week.
However, know that timing is extremely vital in online tutoring, and a prolonged lecture may likely disengage students and hinder their retention span. As a result, keep the lesson concise, to the point, and interesting.
Pro Tip – Remember to plan the lesson in a way that is relevant and practice the presentation before class for better delivery!
- Maintain a consistent and comprehensible structure – Since an effective lesson plan is a lot more than just a checklist, it is important to build a clear and logical structure to promote student engagement and concentration. A sure-fire way of preserving clarity and consistency for a solid lesson plan is to design an outline, overviewing all units, activities, pop quizzes or tests, due dates, and others, at the very beginning. This will enable you to identify thematic concepts and topics and categorize them as modules/units with a proper flow. Here’s a list for your reference –
- Lesson number
- Subject and topic
- Summarized overview of the lesson (segmented into sub-topics)
- Important learning objectives
- Available learning resources (videos, audios, text, images)
- References or additional readings
- Key takeaways
- Include homework and assignments – Homework definitely goes beyond just the after-class activity itself. In essence, it equips students to take control of their academic capabilities and improve their time management skills. So, make sure you incorporate comprehensive, research-based, and analytical assignments into the lesson plan to encourage students to expand their problem-solving abilities and think independently. You can also advise students to start the assignment in class, analyze if they understand and grasp the topic properly, and offer assistance as and when required.
Assigning homework in line with the elaborate lesson plan created will provide you with a deeper understanding of approaching the student’s learning, particularly concerning challenging concepts. At Tutrrd, our teachers strongly believe that students acquainted with a routine of completing assignments and homework find it easier to adapt to a schedule of regularly revising at home, as well.
- Offer easy accessibility – Provide students with a central space such as Google Drive, where you can conveniently store all lessons, assignments, and course material for ensuring easy accessibility. You can also create customized calendars for every class, design various lesson templates, track curriculum details, and share schedules with students and parents for improved efficiency. Remember, every lesson plan must begin with assessing what students will learn by the end of each class, in addition to offering them direct access to study material for further reference.Upon registering to become a tutor with Tutrrd, you will have exclusive access to our e-learning platform’s extensive database to conveniently store and procure the required teaching material.
- Evaluation and reflection – Determining which approach or technique was adequately implemented, as per the online lesson plan, is crucial. Moreover, reviewing the content, strategies, and resources used to conduct a one-on-one online session and modifying them accordingly is pivotal towards enhancing your students’ learning experience and improving your expertise as a tutor. Along with assessing and reflecting on your own work, encourage your students to share their feedback and offer constructive criticism in order to obtain a clearer and distinct picture of what worked well and what did not. Then, on the basis of thorough evaluation and reflection, you can go ahead and make the required modifications to your content and adjust the lesson plan for improved results!
An aspect that sets online lessons apart from a traditional classroom is the teaching approach and level of interaction. Therefore, in a virtual setting, taking the additional time to intricately understand your students can help you design a lesson plan that would truly offer immense value to them. This way, when you are already familiarized with their strengths, patterns of learning, as well as weaknesses, it will certainly be more convenient to deliver an elaborate lesson with greater efficiency. Are you ready to take your lesson planning skills to the next level and begin teaching with Tutrrd? Well then, sign up to become an online tutor now!