Examinations can be a major source of stress for students and parents alike. While it is natural to worry about your children’s grades, keeping up with their unending revision schedules and preparation outlines can certainly be overwhelming.
Although some believe that a little pressure and anxiety can be advantageous before an examination, science advocates otherwise. Under stress, the brain releases elevated levels of cortisol, which is likely to impair the thinking processes and hinder rational thoughts. As a result, it is critical that a student remains calm and composed during the examination period.
This is why developing a plan of action by thoroughly organizing your child’s time as well as the workload is extremely important – it effectively addresses the emotions and thoughts associated with ‘feeling out-of-control.’
Well, all of this is easier said than done. But remember, you got this!
Tutrrd to the Rescue
Here’s a list of six practical ways of managing exam stress, especially tailor-made for parents. These steps will help your child remain calm before and during exams, boost their productivity, and assist you in maneuvering through the stressful period, as well.
- Create a schedule – Creating a realistic schedule greatly helps ease pre-examination stress since the time for resting, studying, and revising, is well-distributed. While creating a schedule isn’t the difficult part, sticking to it is what matters – and that’s where your encouragement would be most necessary. As a parent, you already know your child’s daily routine the best, making it easier to help prepare a study plan and set attainable goals. Having a balanced routine will certainly make your kid feel more relaxed and refreshed when they begin studying for the examinations.
Pro Tip – Ensure factoring in regular, short breaks since they can do wonders in terms of your child’s productivity.
- Hire a tutor – Hiring a one-on-one tutor can help acquire professionally curated strategies specially personalized for your child’s academic needs. Tutors understand that preparing for an examination is not only about having the study material ready but also comprehending and retaining the information properly. Teachers working with Tutrrd are trained to ensure that your child is thoroughly prepared and entirely confident before the big day!
- Get sufficient sleep – The importance of getting enough sleep can never be emphasized enough. Not sleeping right can significantly impact your child’s mood, leading to elevated anxiety levels. Hence, in the days leading up to the examination, ensure that adequate sleep is a vital part of your as well as your child’s schedule. A good night’s sleep will surely alleviate stress and reinforce your child’s concentration span. Moreover, in the case of distorted sleeping patterns, it is essential to get sufficient sleep since it also helps the brain retain new information and knowledge.
- Maintain a stress-free study space – The environment your child studies in is pivotal to their concentration and retention levels. As a result, it is crucial that the study space is well-ventilated, illuminated, decluttered, and harbors a comfortable seating arrangement. The desk or study space should also be well within reach of supplies and essentials required for effective preparation. Always remember that the space or ambiance we create is a clear reflection of our state of mind! A clutter-free and clean space greatly facilitates self-discipline and responsibility, in addition to boosting the drive to study and work hard, especially during examinations.
- Eat healthy and exercise – According to the American Psychological Association, exercising is a great approach to relieving stress. Eating well, having a regular workout schedule, and perhaps, a study session after a relaxing walk is more likely to be effective than an all-nighter fueled by caffeine. You can also incorporate at least one fruit in your child’s daily diet and substitute soda and other aerated drinks for fresh fruit juices. Moreover, eating healthy and home-cooked meals would significantly reduce the likelihood of an upset stomach and gastrointestinal discomfort before the exam.
- Work on time management – It is common for students to be anxious about time management during examinations. However, if you are apprehensive about your child running out of time at the end of an examination and leaving several questions unanswered or rushing through the test early, hiring a tutor that specializes in mock exams and time management is a great choice. Since teachers at Tutrrd are already experienced in overcoming the difficulties associated with time management, they can navigate your children through the process effectively.
What else can I do?
When struggling with stress, it is important to talk to friends, family, or even a professional, and this applies to parents too! Ensure that your child understands the importance of striking a healthy balance between the drive for scoring well and dedicating time for activities that are personally meaningful to them.
In conclusion, we encourage you to remind your children that asking for additional academic assistance is never shameful. While it eases a great deal of anxiety, studying with experienced tutors from reliable platforms like Tutrrd enables parents and students to build a more optimistic stance towards examinations, as well.