The online tutoring business is rapidly flourishing, owing to the extensive use of the internet as well as significant technological developments and innovations. The advent of online tutoring has continued to remain highly beneficial for instructors, students, and parents alike. On the other hand, given the COVID-19 pandemic, online tutoring has gained immense traction, as teachers are able to educate a larger student base from the comforts of their own homes!
Well, if you are an educational professional ready to begin your online tutoring career, this is the perfect place for you! Read on to understand the standard step-by-step procedure to start your online tutoring journey.
Here’s how –
- List your objectives: The first step to start teaching online is to list clear objectives, pros and cons, and a primary purpose. Ask yourself the following questions –
- Why do I want to start tutoring online?
- What is my short- and long-term purpose in pursuing online teaching?
- Am I pursuing online tutoring to enhance and widen my horizons by helping students in need, secure additional income, or both?
- Is online tutoring my primary source of income or additional?
Since the features of online tutoring may vary across applications and websites, make sure you conduct thorough research about the available e-learning platforms to learn more about the prerequisites for becoming an online tutor. Through this, you will acquire an in-depth understanding of the skillsets needed for providing students with a thorough understanding of the course material.
- Find the right tutoring platform: Upon listing out clear objectives and your purpose for online tutoring, selecting and narrowing down on the right platform for scheduling your classes is essential. While we understand that it may be pretty challenging to begin tutoring online, with reliable websites and applications like Tutrrd, you can easily rest your inhibitions aside!
- Sign up to become a tutor: Once you shortlist an online tutoring platform that suits your qualifications, go ahead sign up to become a teacher. But here’s a question for you. Are you more inclined towards an easy registration process, minus the expensive registration fees? If the answer is yes, we have a solution for you! With Tutrrd, you don’t have to worry about long and tedious procedures or registration fees at all! Instead, you just have to fill a simple form and pass an online assessment for free. Yes, it’s that easy! Considering these advantages, Tutrrd is easily the best platform for all your online teaching needs.
- Choose your subject proficiencies: Selecting specific subjects where your in-depth knowledge and expertise lies is one of the most important steps towards becoming an online tutor. It also determines the number of subjects you will teach your students and the quality of course material you will provide. While the choices vary from platform to platform, you are likely to have the option of teaching several subjects. For instance, Tutrrd offers English, History, Social Studies, Mathematics, Geography, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, and numerous others. So, if your core skills primarily revolve around Mathematics and English, or if you have relevant experience regarding the same, teaching these subjects would work best for you.
- Explore various technology options: One-on-one tutoring requires the teacher to keep the student engaged, and the session interactive. This is precisely why you, as an online instructor, must be open to using different forms of technology to make the scheduled class more exciting and help students absorb the information with ease. Make sure you effectively utilize collaborative web-based tools, usually already in-built on e-learning platforms. As a result, you will be able to communicate the course material better and develop creative learning methodologies that pique students’ curiosity and interest.
- Identify your availability and set your price range: As a rewarding and interesting field, online tutoring has its own set of advantages, including the freedom to set your own prices and class timings. Although not all e-learning platforms guarantee the said flexibility, Tutrrd provides you with the liberty to quote your own rates as well as the option of scheduling classes according to your availability.
- Prepare your course material: Now, it is time to prepare a comprehensive strategy for delivering your course material. Do you have all the essentials in place, like a quality microphone, noise-canceling earphones or headphones, and a webcam? Do you have a stable internet connection? While these aspects are super important, make sure you also emphasize what your teaching material includes. Is it lengthy and cumbersome? Or is it short and interactive? For best results, gauge it from the student’s perspective! You can also consider preparing an interesting pop quiz to test your students towards the end of each session.
We believe that having understood these tips on how to start tutoring online, you can confidently take your teaching career a step ahead. Besides, with the number of students signing up for online classes increasing on a daily basis, the best time to begin online teaching is right now!
So, sign up to become a teacher with Tutrrd today for free!